WESTCHESTER COUNTY, N.Y. – New Rochelle’s Kevin Shattenkirk assisted on one goal for the United States in a 7-1 men’s hockey hockey victory Thursday at the Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.
Team USA broke the game open with six goals in the second period. Paul Stastny scored two goals. John Carlson, Ryan Kesler, David Backes, Phil Kessel and Dustin Brown also scored for Team USA.
Shattenkirk, a defenseman, assisted on Stastny’s goal in 13:30 into the second period and gave Team USA a 5-1 lead.
The team's second game will be against Russia on Saturday at 7:30 a.m. EST. Its third game will be against Slovenia at 7:30 a.m. on Sunday.
The Slovakia, Russia and Slovenia games can all be seen on NBC Sports Network each day in 5 p.m. re-airings.
Medal qualifying games are set for Tuesday, Feb. 18. Quarterfinal action is set for Wednesday, Feb. 19, followed by the bronze-medal game on Saturday, Feb. 22 and gold-medal game on Sunday, Feb. 23.
- 1 Police Officer Prevents Metro-North Train From Hitting Car At Rail Crossing
- 2 ESPN Writer's Son, 21, Missing At College In Upstate New York
- 3 State Police Warn Chappaqua Residents Of Phone Scam
- 4 Valhalla Man Recovers After 18-Wheeler's 'Ice Missile' Breaks Windshield
- 5 Chance Of Snow Returns To Chappaqua Overnight