CHAPPAQUA, N.Y. – Scott Wymbs felt he had unfinished business going into the Beacon Wrestling Tournament recently.
The Horace Greeley senior wanted a return trip the 195-pound final. Once Wymbs got there, he finished it off with a 3-1 victory in overtime over Kingston’s Deon Edmond.
Wymbs equaled three-time Section 1 champion Greg Einfrank for the most wins in program history with 116. Wymbs also was selected the tournament’s most outstanding wrestler.
“It definitely felt good to redeem myself after losing in the final last year,” Wymbs said. “It also felt good to tie the Greeley all-time record.”
Wymbs received byes in the first two rounds Friday, enabling him to relax and prepare for Saturday.
“It didn’t throw me off,” said Wymbs of not wrestling on the first day. “I watched my teammates, got some drilling in and then I was able to get home and eat dinner.”
Wymbs breezed through his quarterfinal and semifinal matches before meeting Edmond, a 2012 Section 9 Division I champion. The score was even at 1-1 at the end of regulation, forcing overtime.
“I knew someone had to shoot so I decided to push the pace because I could see he was pretty tired,” Wymbs said. “I committed to the shot, a double leg. I was able to get in pretty deep and finish it off.”
- 1 Serious Multi-Vehicle Accident Closes Saw Mill River Parkway In Mount Kisco
- 2 New Castle Cracking Down On Distracted Driving
- 3 Westchester Attorney Charged With Stealing Over $1M From Escrow Accounts
- 4 Westchester Publisher Charged With Loan, Tax Fraud
- 5 NYPD Officer, Former Section 1 Basketball Star, Killed In Bronx Crash