CHAPPAQUA, N.Y. – The Horace Greeley High School boys swim team will be aiming to complete a daily-double Wednesday in the Section 1 Championships.
The Quakers are looking to win their second consecutive Section 1 team title and make it a clean sweep after the girls swim team won the Section 1 girls championship last November.
The Section 1 Boys Swimming Championships will begin at 5 p.m. Wednesday at Felix Festa Middle School in West Nyack in Rockland County.
“I was there when the girls won, and it was really exciting to watch,” senior and captain Risten Clarke said. “We’re trying to keep up with them.”
The Quakers come into sectionals fresh off an 8-0-1 regular season and a good showing in the time trials held Monday.
“Collectively, as a team, we felt we did pretty good,” Clarke said. “A couple of guys stepped up and did really well. All of our relays are all Top 16, and we have a lot of guys coming back for finals.”
Junior Alex Smith is seeded first in the 100-yard backstroke and 200-yard butterfly, said Clarke, who is seeded third in the 100 free and fourth in the 200 free.
“It all comes down to Wednesday, and I know that I plan on moving up from my seed times,” Clarke said. “We know a lot of the teams have gotten even better from last year, and we have a lot of respect for all of the teams. We will have to do what we did last year.”
- 1 July 4 Terror Warning Issued By Homeland Security, FBI
- 2 Second Escapee David Sweat Shot By New York State Police, Now In Hospital
- 3 Dad Looks To Reduce Charges In Fatal Crash Involving Pleasantville Girl
- 4 July 4 Terror Threat Is 'Nothing Routine,' Says Former CIA Deputy Director
- 5 Serious Accident Reported At I-684, I-84 Interchange