CHAPPAQUA, N.Y. – Horace Greeley High School students Angel Liu and Jiayi Peng have been selected as semifinalists for the 2013 Intel Science Talent Search, widely considered the nation’s most prestigious pre-college science competition. The two students were selected from 1,712 entrants from 467 high schools, 42 states, the Discrict of Columbia, Guam and two U.S. overseas schools.
Liu and Peng are now two of 300 semifinalists who will now have the chance to advance to the finals, where 40 students will be invited to Washington D.C. in March to compete for the top award of $100,000.
Liu was named as a semifinalist for her work focusing on the defibrillation of the heart by light and the simulation of optogenetics in cardiac tissue.
Peng has been nominated for her work on a cellular automation model for critical dynamics in neuronal networks. The same project helped her take home $50,000 last month after finishing second in a 2012 Siemens competition in math, science and technology.
- 1 Starbucks, Chase Named As Proposed Tenants For Chappaqua Crossing
- 2 Teenager Identified In Fatal Sprain Brook Crash
- 3 New Scam Showing Up On Facebook Could Cost You Lots Of Money
- 4 22-Year-Old Drowning Victim ID'd; Schools Superintendent's Stepson
- 5 Modell's Seeks Move Into Former Borders Site In Mount Kisco