BEDFORD HILLS, N.Y. -- A former officer at the Bedford Hills Correctional Facility has been charged with raping an inmate.
New York State Police and the Westchester County District Attorney's Office announced the arrest of Richard Rodriguez, a 33-year-old Brooklyn resident. He was arrested on Monday, July 7, and charged with third-degree rape, a felony.
Inmates are not able to give sexual consent when in supervision and custody, according to the District Attorney's Office.
The encounter is alleged to have taken place on Dec. 23, 2013, according to the District Attorney's Office.
Rodriguez was suspended without pay on March 7, according to the District Attorney's Office. He has been terminated, state police disclosed.
Officials, in their announcements, mentioned that there was a joint investigation, which included the Department of Corrections and Community Supervision, state police and the Sex Crimes Bureau for the District Attorney's Office.
The incident was reported in February, both announcements disclosed, when DOCCS and the state Inspector General's Office contacted state police.
Rodriguez was also arraigned, and his bail has been set at $500, according to state police, and he has an appearance in Bedford Town Court scheduled for Sept. 4.
- 1 Actor/Director Charged With Possession Of Child Porn, Westchester DA Says
- 2 10 License Violators In Westchester Fined By State Liquor Authority
- 3 Drenching Thunderstorms Headed To Chappaqua
- 4 Funeral Set For Kristopher Stephenson Following New Castle Car Crash
- 5 Former Mount Pleasant Police Chief Pleads Guilty To Child Porn Charge