CHAPPAQUA, N.Y. -- A quick response by the Chappaqua Fire Department resulted in a dog being saved from a smoke-filled house Friday while the homeowner was away.
Firefighters who arrived at the home on Bedford Road at around 12:20 p.m. encountered a fire burning on the glass stovetop and a dog in the residence in distress.
Chief Russell Maitland removed the dog from the heavy smoke after forcing his way into the home.
Fire personnel were on scene for approximately 45 minutes venting the home after extinguishing the blaze.
The homeowner arrived after the fire was extinguished.
Working smoke detectors connected to a monitoring station are credited with the saving of the dog and keeping the home from a more significant fire.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.