BEDFORD, N.Y. – An elderly Bedford Hills man died 24 hours after his senior facility superintendent rescued him from his apartment, which had caught fire, police said.
The tenant, 82, suffered severe burns in the fire, which began around 3:20 p.m. Thursday in his apartment at Fellowship Hall, a senior living facility on 212 Babbitt Road.
Police have not released his name, but LoHud.com has identified him as Mount Kisco native Richard Fitzgerald.
He was taken to Westchester Medical Center, where he later died. The Westchester County Medical Examiner determined severe burns and smoke inhalation were the causes of death.
After neighbors noticed smoke, the Fellowship Hall superintendent went into the smoke-filled apartment, located the tenant, and pulled him out, police sad.
Check back for more details as they become available.
- 1 Former Exec From PepsiCo In Purchase Resigns From Toyota After Drug Bust
- 2 July 4 Terror Threat Is 'Nothing Routine,' Says Former CIA Deputy Director
- 3 Four From Westchester Indicted In Metro-North Cheating Ring
- 4 Downed Trees, Accidents Cause Road Closures, Delays, Power Outages
- 5 Fugitives Planned To Flee To Mexico, Split Five Days Before Manhunt Ended