YONKERS, N.Y. – Two people died Sunday and three remained hospitalized after an out-of-control Mercedes Benz flipped on the Saw Mill River Parkway, Westchester County Police said.
The car was traveling at a high rate of speed when it hit a Honda Accord from behind, careened into the center divider and rolled several times, police said. The crash occurred around 12:15 p.m. near the Rumsey Road exit in Yonkers and shut down traffic for nearly nine hours.
“The preliminary conclusion is that speed does seem to be a factor here,” Westchester County Police spokesman Kieran O’Leary said Monday.
Tony Fortune, 46, of the Bronx, died after he was ejected from the front passenger’s seat of the Mercedes, police said. Shanikka Hunter, 28, of the Bronx, also was ejected from the car and died Sunday night at Jacobi Medical Center in the Bronx, police said.
Two other female passengers, who also were in the backseat of the vehicle, and the male driver, Kenyatta Garner, 36, of Lake City, S.C., were taken to Jacobi, police said. They remained hospitalized Monday.
The driver of the Honda, Benjamin Ferder, 23, of New Rochelle, was taken to Jacobi Medical Center as a precaution but suffered only very minor injuries. He was released.
The accident still is being investigated.
- 1 Bill, Hillary Clinton March In Chappaqua For Memorial Day Parade
- 2 Pleasantville Teen Is Sentenced In Crash That Killed Three
- 3 Thieves Stole Personal Data From 104,000 Taxpayers, IRS Says
- 4 Woman Spits At, Kicks Westchester Officers During DWI Arrest, Say Police
- 5 Schumer Calls For Harsher 'Swatting' Penalties In Visit To Westchester