MOUNT KISCO, N.Y. – Lillian Smilkstein, a longtime Mount Kisco resident, died on July 7 at the age of 96.
She was born on Aug. 22, 1917 to Samuel and Eva Garber in Brooklyn, and graduated from Hunter College in New York City in 1938.
Lillian was a longtime member of Bet Torah of Mount Kisco and worked as a legal secretary at Anderson, Banks & Schwam.
She married the love of her life, Jerry Smilkstein, in 1947. Jerry owned and operated Smilkstein’s Department Store with his father and five brothers for almost 75 years. Lillian and Jerry were married 37 years until he died in 1984.
Lillian was preceded in death by her sister Cecilia Rolnick and brother Herman Garber. She is survived by her three sons: Stanley and his wife, Heidi; Jeffrey and his wife, Diane; and Edward and his wife, Gail. She also is survived by her grandchildren Michael (Veronica), Sharon Smilkstein-Figueroa (Felix Jr.), James, Lisa Kulins (Andrew), Matthew and her great grandchildren, Leah Figueroa, Caitlin and Kylee Kulins and Mikaela Smilkstein.
Lillian will be remembered for her kindness and consideration to everyone who knew her, and especially for her love of family and friends. She was a lovely person and a devoted wife, mother, grandmother and great grandmother.
Services and internment were held at King David Cemetery in Shrub Oak, N.Y. on July 8.
- 1 Cause Of Chappaqua House Fire May Be Electrical, Chief Says
- 2 New Castle Ranks High Among Nation’s 100 Best Suburbs
- 3 Obama Will Fly Into Westchester Airport For Big-Ticket Fundraiser
- 4 Tarrytown's Happy Rockefeller, Wife Of Late Nelson Rockefeller, Dies
- 5 Astorino Asks Obama If He 'Wants To Say Hi' To Hillary Clinton During Visit