CHAPPAQUA, N.Y. – John Daniel Nestro, a life member and former chief of the Chappaqua Volunteer Fire Department, died Dec. 11 at his home in Chappaqua, surrounded by family. He was 77.
Nestro was a resident of Chappaqua for 45 years, and worked for Con Edison in Eastview, N.Y., for 42 years. He was a member of the Mount Kisco American Legion.
He was born March 30, 1935, in the Bronx, N.Y., to Gaetano and Caroline D'Ambra Nestro. Educated in the Bronx, Nestro graduated from Roosevelt High School. He served in the Army from 1955 to 1962. He married Jeannette Giacco on June 29, 1957, in the Bronx.
Nestro is survived by his wife; three children, Frank (Diane), Janine (Greg) Orr and Christine (Kieran) Murray; seven grandchildren and two great-grandchildren. He is also survived by three sisters-in-law, Irene Giacco, Evelyn Fields and Vicky Giacco; and a brother-in-law, Genaro Giacco. He was predeceased by three brothers, Tony, Tom and Ralph.
Visitation is from 1 to 5 p.m. and 7 to 9 p.m., Friday, at Cassidy-Flynn Funeral Home in Mount Kisco. A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated at 9:30 a.m., Saturday, at St. John and Mary Church in Chappaqua. Burial will be private.
In lieu of flowers, memorial donations can be made to Hospice Care in Westchester and Putnam, 540 White Plains Road, Suite 300, Tarrytown, NY 10591.
- 1 Drowning Victim, 22, ID'd; Stepson Of Schools Superintendent
- 2 New Castle Creates Arts And Culture Committee, Saves Theater
- 3 New Scam Showing Up On Facebook Could Cost You Lots Of Money
- 4 Just In Time For 'Shark Week,' New Sighting Is Reported Off Long Island
- 5 Three Hospitalized After Serious I-87 Crash Involving Tractor-Trailer, Car