WESTCHESTER COUNTY, N.Y. -- James McNair, the Peekskill man killed in the multi-vehicle crash that has left actor/comedian Tracy Morgan in critical condition, was himself a popular comedian and a friend of Morgan's.
The chain-reaction accident, on the New Jersey Turnpike just north of Trenton, occurred early Saturday morning when a truck rear-ended a limo bus in which McNair, 62, was a passenger, causing the Mercedes Benz sprinter to overturn, according to reports. Six vehicles were involved in the accident.
The driver of the truck, Kevin Roper of Jonesboro, Ga., has been charged with four counts of assault by auto and death by auto. McNair and Morgan, 45, were en route from a performance at Dover Downs Hotel & Casino in Delaware.
McNair, known as "Uncle Jimmy Mack," left a construction job to become a comedian and befriended Morgan at the Uptown Comedy Club in Harlem, according to LoHud.com.
Several of McNair's standup routines are on McNair's YouTube channel, including his "Hood to the Good" performance at Peekskill Christian Center in 2010.
Funeral arrangements for McNair have not been announced.
- 1 New Castle Having Annual Memorial Day Parade
- 2 Bill, Hillary Clinton March In Chappaqua For Memorial Day Parade
- 3 Sandra Lee Returns Home After Double To New Castle After Double Mastectomy
- 4 Downed Trees Lead To Blockages On Bronx River Parkway, Route 120
- 5 Threat Of Tick-Borne Diseases Grows, Report Says