WESTCHESTER COUNTY, N.Y. -- New York is the worst state in the country to be a taxpayer, according to rankings released by WalletHub.com.
The Empire State ranked 51st (including Washington, D.C.) with an average annual state and local tax burden of $9718, which is 40 percent higher than the national average, according to WalletHub.
Wallethub ranked each state in the following categories to come up with its ranking: Real estate tax, state income tax, local income tax, vehicle property tax, vehicle sales tax, sales and use tax, fuel tax, alcohol tax, food tax and telecommunications tax.
New York's neighbors didn't fare well in the rankings, either. Connecticut was ranked no.48 while Vermont, New Jersey and Pennsylvania ranked 45th, 44th and 39th, respectively.
Wyoming ranked as the best state to live in as a tax payer with an annual average tax burden of $2365, or 66 percent below the national average.
Alaska, Nevada, Florida and South Dakota rounded out the top 5.
- 1 Trump's Presidential Run Puts Spotlight On Estate That Straddles New Castle
- 2 New Chappaqua Crossing Housing Plan Puts 32 Units In Cupola Building
- 3 Man, 24, Killed In Sprain Brook Parkway One-Car Crash ID'd
- 4 Westchester Native Killed In Taconic Parkway Crash Was Jungle Explorer
- 5 New Map Shows Lyme Disease Risk