New Castle: Progress Made With Power, But Not Enough

  • Comment
Photo Credit: www.NCCMC.com

CHAPPAQUA, N.Y. – Power was restored Thursday to nearly 1,000 customers in New Castle, but Supervisor Susan Carpenter said that doesn't mean much to the more than 2,000 who are still in the dark.

“That doesn’t necessarily make you feel better if you are one of the (customers) still without power,” she said in a recorded video on www.NCCMC.com.

As of 7 p.m. Thursday, an estimated 2,274 of 6,574 customers were still without power in New Castle, including at least one local business owner who said two weeks without power might be too much for him to handle.

“In this day and age, to go without power for 11 days, 14 days, is just crazy,” said Scott Reilly, owner of Prescriptions for Fitness at 255 King St. “I feel like the little guy here. As a small business owner, you can’t make up the two weeks.”

Carpenter urged residents without power to keep being persistent with Con Edison and report any outages to the “business that so badly let us down.” She also recommended making complaints to the New York State Public Service Commission.

“I hope they actually listen and do something,” Carpenter said.

County Legislator Mike Kaplowitz (D-Somers) called the response time of Con Ed “abhorrent” and called for the loss of jobs.

In response to criticisms from New Castle officials, Allan Drury, public affairs manager for Con Ed, told The Chappaqua Daily Voice, "We understand the frustration and that's why we're working as hard as we are."

Drury added that Sandy knocked out power to about 1 million customers while last year's Tropical Storm Irene knocked out about 200,000. Con Ed restored about 900,000 outages so far, Drury said, and compared it to restoring four Irenes in one week.

"We are working around the clock to restore everyone and we will."

  • Comment

Comments

In Other News

Pace Performing Arts Hosts Session With Director Doyle

News

Byram Hills Student Wins Award For Scientific Excellence