NEW CASTLE, N.Y. -- Checking the service of plow trucks is among the many ways the town of New Castle is preparing for winter storms.
New Castle also has prepared in the following ways.
- Having a contract in place for weather notifications from Universal Weather Service.
- A salt supply to handle up to six to nine storms.
- A contractual relationship with the same NYS Office of General Services salt supplier as last year.
- Liquid anti-icing/de-icing solutions on-hand to handle four to five storms.
- All plow trucks are current on service with one replacement being added to the fleet, all drop-in speakers have been serviced and ready for installation by Nov. 14 and spare plow blade inventory is adequate. A rental bobcat for the sidewalk clearing will arrive shortly.
- Two new F-550 snow spreaders are on order to be delivered by end of November.
- All 17 plow operators have received the Cornell University Snow-Ice Operations and Safety Training; additionally, all five back-up drivers have received this training.
- The town currently is working with NYS Department Of Transportation on obtaining space in Millwood Salt Shed to supply our “west-end” trucks.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.