Metro-North Puts Trains On Saturday Schedule For Post-Storm Friday

  • Comments (2)
Metro-North trains will be on a Saturday schedule for Friday as storm cleanup continues.
Metro-North trains will be on a Saturday schedule for Friday as storm cleanup continues. Photo Credit: File photo

WESTCHESTER COUNTY, N.Y. -- Westchester County commuters looking to catch trains on Friday morning need to check their schedules: Metro-North will run on a Saturday schedule as it continues to clean up after the storm.

The cutback in service for Friday is "due to the severe impact of the winter storm on our service territory and projected lower ridership," Metro-North said late Thursday.

Snow accumulations of 12 to 14 inches or more have been measured in some parts of Westchester County with another 5 to 9 inches projected to fall overnight. Ice and freezing rain have also coated the area.

Customers were advised to limit travel through Friday and to anticipate delays and crowded conditions on trains. Off-peak fares will be in effect on Friday.      

Metro-North ran on a reduced schedule and then ran hourly service Thursday, estimating that ridership was about a third of normal weekday levels.

Commuters are warned to take care when traveling during wintry weather and to allow for additional travel time. Riders should use caution when entering and exiting trains, and on platforms and staircases due to the icy and snowy conditions.

Delays due to the weather conditions are possible Friday.

The commuter railroad sent out snow blowers, plow trains, front-end loaders and backhoes to battle the storm, said Meredith Daniels, a Metro-North spokeswoman.

The weather is a particular problem on the New Haven Line, where snow and ice can coat the overhead catenary wires that power the trains and disrupt service.

“There isn’t much we can do to prevent ice from forming on the wires. We just have to pay special attention to this,” Daniels said.

For train times, check the Metro-North website.

  • 2

Comments (2)

The Friday morning commute on MetroNorth was horrendous. Incredibly annoyed at how MetroNorth handled Friday.

Guess what? It didn't happened. I waited for the train since 7:44am and was not able to get in the train until 8:40AM. Everybody who stayed home the day before at least tried make it to the city the following day (today). The platform was full, two trains came by completed full. No one was able to to get in. My fingers were freezing and I was wearing double gloves. Very bad planning from the MNR.