Contact Us
Chappaqua Daily Voice serves Chappaqua, NY
Return to your home site


Chappaqua Daily Voice serves Chappaqua, NY

Nearby Towns


Man Sentenced For Lange's Deli Shooting In Chappaqua

Hengjun Chao
Hengjun Chao Photo Credit: Westchester County District Attorney's Office

WESTCHESTER COUNTY, N.Y. - The Tuckahoe man convicted of shooting his former boss outside a Chappaqua deli has been sentenced to nearly three decades in prison after being found guilty of attempted murder.

Hengjun Chao, 50, has been sentenced to 28 years in prison after being found guilty of shooting Dr. Dennis Charney with a shotgun outside of Lange’s Little Store, Westchester County District Attorney Anthony Scarpino, Jr. announced on Wednesday.

On the morning of Aug. 26, 2016, Charney, the dean of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, and at least one other person were struck by buckshot outside of the deli, allegedly from a shotgun wielded by Chao, who was arrested at the scene by New Castle Police.

During his trial, Chao insisted that he never meant to hit or kill Charney, he was interested in protesting against an antidepressant that he believed increased the chance of suicide for teenagers.

Chao was found guilty of one count of second-degree attempted murder, first-degree criminal use of a firearm and first-degree assault, all felonies. He pleaded not guilty to the charges last October.

"When the victim left the deli, the defendant retrieved a loaded shotgun from the trunk of his car," the district attorney's office alleged in a statement released following Chao’s arrest. "He walked towards the victim, took aim and fired one shot, hitting him in the shoulder and chest area. The defendant remained there and was subsequently arrested by New Castle Police officers.”

Charney was reportedly on a committee that played a part in Chao losing his research job at the school in 2009 following an investigation into potential data fraud. Chao went on to unsuccessfully sue Mount Sinai and Charney in federal court before his alleged involvement in the shooting.

Following the shooting, Charney was hospitalized for five days, where he was treated for his injuries. A second person in the vicinity of the incident, who was not a target, was also suffered non-life-threatening injuries.

Chao has been remanded into the custody of the New York State Department of Corrections.

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Chappaqua Daily Voice!

This is a one time message inviting you to keep in touch

Get important news about your town as it happens.