Here are some easy and simple ways to prevent heat stroke for you and your pets, thanks to the Northern Westchester Hospital in Mt. Kisco and the Chappaqua Animal Hospital.
1. Stay out of the heat and in air-conditioning, if at all possible
2. Stay well hydrated with water (no sugary drinks)
3. Stay away from alcohol and caffeine, which only increase levels of dehydration
4. Apply a wet paper towel or washcloth to the back of your neck to stay cool in the heat
5. If you wear a ball cap, wet it with cold water and place on the back of your head to keep cool
6. Check on your neighbors, pets, and loved ones to make sure they are cool and well-hydrated during the extreme heat and humidity
For your pets:
1. Keep them out of the heat and cool with a fan and a bucket of ice
2. Watch for increased, heavy panting and frequent trips to the water bowl
3. If they collapse put them in cold-water bath to lower their temperature
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.