JEFFERSON VALLEY, N.Y. ‒ By the time Toys 'R' Us closes on Christmas Eve, the Jefferson Valley store will have been open for 88 consecutive hours.
Several national chains extended their hours in the weekend leading up to Christmas, but that didn't stop some shoppers from waiting until the last minute.
"Guess I'm always behind," said Richard Davis, of Somers. "It's pretty easy today, but Saturday was pretty bad."
Jesica Kohlder said every year she waits "until the last minute."
But it wasn't the offer of deals that drew Davis, who was shopping for a niece and nephew, 4 and 6 years old. "It's whatever you can find," he said.
Another pair of shoppers offered a differing view of Christmas Eve shopping. Chris and Denise Johnson, brother and sister residents of the Bronx, said the northern suburbs are quiet compared to stores in White Plains and the Bronx. They visit Jefferson Valley every year just to shop.
"It's a lot more peaceful up here," said Chris said of the Jefferson Valley Toys 'R' Us store. Denise said store shelves in White Plains and the Bronx are "bare."
At southern stores "the hard part is getting a parking spot," Chris said.
- 1 July 4 Terror Warning Issued By Homeland Security, FBI
- 2 Second Escapee David Sweat Shot By New York State Police, Now In Hospital
- 3 Dad Looks To Reduce Charges In Fatal Crash Involving Pleasantville Girl
- 4 July 4 Terror Threat Is 'Nothing Routine,' Says Former CIA Deputy Director
- 5 Serious Accident Reported At I-684, I-84 Interchange